When Charlie was only a couple of weeks old we went out, a lot. Matt was on holidays and Harper was going stir crazy, and it's so easy to take a newborn places, sure they need to fed a lot, but they sleep anywhere!
As Charlie got older she started to grow out of that, sleep anywhere age. Since about 8 weeks during the day Charlie has not slept longer than 20 to 30 minutes in a cot/swing/pram/car seat, anywhere. The only way I can get her to have a long nap is to wear her.
Over the last couple of weeks I've managed to get her to start having two to three naps a day in the cot, they are short, but give me a chance to have a quick break.
For me baby-wearing has saved my sanity and got us though some really hard times. They say a baby that is worn close to you during the day cries less than one who is not.
I dread to think how much she would have cried if I didn't wear her. Charlie
So here we go...
- I get so much done
- Makes cooking tea, easy peasy
- I can go out and know she will sleep anywhere
- Makes going away easy
- In the Newborn stage, being tucked away means your baby is less likely to be poked by well meaning strangers.
- Bonding. It's so nice to have her just there
- Keeps her warm in winter
- I feel like she is safe when she's with me, I don't have to keep checking on her.
- Noise doesn't seem to bother her, when she sleeps in the carrier. In the cot she wakes up from noise, all the time
- Here is the big one. It takes the stress out of sleep. Sometimes it's really stressful trying to get a baby to sleep in a cot, all that patting and shushing, Seriously who has time for that? Maybe with a first child, but with a baby & a crazy toddler that yells out, CHARLIE from the baby gate repeatedly, just as you almost got her to sleep. No thanks.
- Although the Ergo baby carrier is the best I've used, when I wear Charlie all-day, everyday, I get a sore back.
- Sometimes I want sometime to myself
- It gets hot in Summer, luckily its cold here now
- I worry she might get a sore back or neck being in there all the time
- Its hard to pick things up off the floor
- She prefers I stand up, So I do most of the day, she wakes up when I sit down
- It makes direct contact with Harper hard and Sometimes I miss being able to pick him up and have a cuddle.
Do you wear your baby? I'd love to hear how it works for you.